Thursday, November 24, 2016

Flimsy Barriers

Flimsy Barriers
I need to straighten out something about my trip to Germany when I was in my twenties. I had an overall pleasant visit. I don't know why I needed to say I was Jewish when I'm not. I was more impulsive back then. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I was curious about how it would feel to be a Jewish tourist over there. And it made no difference. They took me out for beer and were very nice to me. The older ones didn't like me as much. And the teller in one of the banks asked me if I was sure I was Canadian before she cashed my traveler's check. But other than those two, I got along with everyone, and they brew the best beer. It was 1988 and I said they should tear down the Berlin Wall, even though they all wanted to keep out the East Germans, and down it came the following year. I guess I won that argument.

The older generation is more racist, though they are becoming extinct. I remember how this old German supervisor would talk: 'We call a Canadian a French Canadian or a Polish Canadian, but the Jew is an American Jew or a Canadian Jew...' My dad was roughly Archie Bunker's age, so you can imagine his opinions, though he abandoned them as he aged. And one time a right-wing Christian group passed through the Mission where I had to eat and spoke of how 'they're intelligent'. Yes, Jesus Christ certainly was. But actually, I got woo-wooed when I was briefly homeless in Toronto, coming out of the Native Shelter. The taunter must have thought I was Metis.

I just look at people's actions. I don't care about their name or race or creed, I just care if I can get along with them. I think most others are like I am.

About my little hospital visit yesterday, which I mentioned when I posted my oral rendition of the Age of the Image on YouTube, I managed to get my insides photographed this time and I'm not sure, but I think that advances me beyond where I was at this point in '07. If so, what a relief. Maybe we can chart a brighter course from here. It'll be about a week for the results. My plumbing feels like its been scrubbed on the inside with steel wool, one of my more unpleasant memories from '07, But I survived it then and I have faith that the worst has passed. I love Canadian health care. After all, once we put on those gowns, we're all equal.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2016. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment